Nana turned 90 this year - and it seemed like a perfect occasion to put together a memory quilt as a gift for her. Nana makes every grandchild a quilt when they are born (to remind you here is what she made for Bunny #1!). She is quite the dedicated sewer as well as a loving mother to four children, grand mother to 13 and great grandmother to an additional 21!!
Back at the beginning of this year I sent a letter to everyone in the family asking them to create a square that would be sewn together into a quilt to celebrate Nana's 90th birthday. Here is the form letter that I used in case you wanted to put together a similar project:
A Memory Quilt for Nana
In addition to all the heart felt things that are being planned for Nana's 90th birthday we thought it would be a nice idea to create a memory quilt for Nana. Nana over the years has made us all so many lovely things - lets make her a quilt packed with memories and love.
Memory quilts are quilts pieced together from squares depicting thoughts/mementos for a special loved one. They can be made from clothes, T-shirts, ties, direct printed photos - almost anything that might hold a special meaning.
If you would like to participate you will need to return any finished patch(es) or materials for the quilt BY
You will find in this package:
- a square of material 14 x 14". (There should be enough pieces of material for everyone in your family plus some spare.)
- Ziploc bag to protect your patch/material during return mailing
- an addressed envelope for returning your squares
You can decorate your patch in anyway you wish with what ever method you wish – here are some ideas:
NOTE: you do not have to fill all of the square provided
- write out your message with a permanent fabric marker, or perhaps penning a favorite quote or lyric that is meaningful to you and Nana
- embroider a message or image on the square
- use iron-on letters or pictures
- appliqué or patchwork your own patch
- fabric pens, paints or dye – used freehand, stenciled or stamped
- transfer photos/drawings with heat transfer paper or printable fabric sheets.
- buttons, beads, ribbon, lace
You do not have to fill the square provided - you do not have to use the provided square of fabric - you can:
- use any other fabric you might prefer
- return a piece of fabric/clothing that has meaning to you that you would like to be included
Any questions please contact me @
It was such a fun project - I really enjoyed putting it all together.