Thursday, August 29, 2013

Free Motion Quilting Practice: Baby Quilts

I am determined to get better at free motion quilting. I have not yet made friends with the BSR foot. (I sometimes feel that my free motion quilting with the #10 foot is more successful with the tension between 2&3 and the stitch length at 0.2.)

I have lots of practice pads - but these seems to drive me nuts and I just end up endlessly doodling on them - I'm afraid that I am the sort of person who needs an end product to work to - even if it is deemed as 'practicing'.

With that in mind I have purchased the following materials - enough to make crib sized quilts from so that I can practice my freehand quilting on them.

A colorful hexagon print by Michael Miller. This is in preparation of finishing a quilt I am making from a hand pieced hexagon quilt made by my Grandmother.


A grey circle print by Riley Blake which I plan to attack with orange thread.


A pink batik that I found at Joann's. I will follow all the lines with a purpley pink multi-hued thread.


I finally put together some blocks that I have had lying around since March 2009 into a cute little quilt.


And lastly I got something that I never thought I would ever do ... (and I can't tell you how much I find myself being humbled while I'm learning to sew) ... I had set views about preprinted panels - but when I saw this map printed in bright colors (at Joann's also) I immediately thought of a cute idea for my godson who turns two later this year.


So if I'm lost - you know where I'll be - I have a lot to get through ...... if you have any ideas that I could consider before starting to quilt these - I would love to hear from you.

***********

Please do not forget about the charity I Spy quilt - we are still looking for fabric 4"x4"scrap donations.  



No comments: