Thursday, May 22, 2014

Mixing up Simple Free Motion Designs

Our guild is currently making baby quilts for charity and this was a top from Maria. Maria said that she had had this top for around a year so it would be nice to get it finished. The block is based on the Flatiron Partnership logo - which I think makes a really great block. It was such a great idea my Maria to translate this logo into a patchwork design. I read somewhere that you are a true quilter if you see a quilt in everything you see - and I don't know how many of you also walk around the world looking at things constantly thinking 'that would make a great quilt' .... my list of ideas & projects is seemingly endless these days.




As soon as I saw it and saw all the white negative space my eyes lit up. I decided to play with mixing various designs together.


The top I started off with spirals and pebbles. 


A little further down the quilt I added some longer wavy spirals to the standard spirals & pebbles.

Next I added in some plain waves to the mix ...


... and finally I added some feathers (I love this row the best.)


It was a fun, quick project - and I love the result.

I hope that in the future I will be able to push this idea further and mix lots and lots of designs up together to make a really interesting texture/design - try and encourage people to look at the top of the quilt for a long time - hunt for different designs and concepts mushed in together in unexpected ways!

4 comments:

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

More fabulous quilting Rachael, simply stunning :D

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Rachael -- it's beautiful! It certainly doesn't look like it was a quick project!

MariaG said...

Again, amazing! I can't wait to see it in person. I am so happy that you made it possible for this top to become a quilt. There will be a very happy baby/mom in the near future! Thanks, Rachael!

Sue said...

Though I'm not a quilter, I do see the world as quilting or cross stitch patterns. Glad I'm not alone in this strange but exciting view.